Code Enforcement Section
The Rutherford County Fire Marshal's Office is responsible for conduct fire and life safety inspections throughout the County in addition to conducting plan review for all new commercial construction projects. For questions regarding fire and life safety inspections or to schedule an inspection please contact the Fire Marshal's Office at 615-907-3600.
Effective January 1st 2022, the Fire Marshal's Office requires certain construction and operational permits. Please review the information below to determine where permits may be required.
Fire Marshal's Office permits allow applicants (contractors and business owners) to maintain, store, or handle materials; or to conduct processes that product conditions hazardous to life or property; or to install equipment utilized in connection with such activities; or to install or modify any fire protection systems or equipment or any other construction, equipment installation or modification in accordance with the provisions of Rutherford County's Adopted Fire Code.
REQUIRED CONSTRUCTION PERMITS
- Fire Sprinkler Systems
- Automatic Fire Extinguishing Systems (Hood suppression, clean agent, etc.)
- Emergency Responder Radio Coverage Systems
- Fire Alarm and Detection Systems
- Fire Pumps and Related Equipment
- Flammable & Combustible Liquid- Tank Installation/Modification/Removal
- Gates and Barricades across Fire Apparatus Access Roads
REQUIRED OPERATIONAL PERMITS
- Commercial Open Burning
- Explosives- Use/Storage/Manufacture
- Fire Watch Activities
- Storage of Flammable & Combustible Liquids (includes above-ground tanks)
- Hazardous Materials Storage
- High Piled Storage
- Liquid- or Gas-fueled Vehicles or Equipment in Assemble Buildings
- Use/Storage/Dispensing of LP-Gas
- Mobile Food Preparation Vehicles (Food Trucks)
- Mobile Fuel-Dispensing Facilities
- Outdoor Assembly Events (over 1000 attendees)
- Private Fire Hydrants
- Temporary Membrane Structures and Tents
- Vehicle Repair Garages
OBTAIN YOUR PERMITS HERE
For more information, please contact RCFR Fire Marshal’s Office at 615-907-3600 Mon.-Fri. 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.